Reply To: A tip for reducing stress

Home Forums PATN and Pattern Analysis PATN Discussion A tip for reducing stress Reply To: A tip for reducing stress

Mark

Lee

“PATN should identify an outlier and this ‘group’ should only attract objects that are closer to it than any other group.”

Yes it did and assigned a group to the one object. I found this unsatisfactory given that all my other centroids represented 6+ objects.

“Not sure what Monte-Carlo process you are referring to”

I ran the PCC and Monte-Carlo (MCOA) routine in a heirachial clustering analysis of the imported group centroids derived from non-heirachial analysis. That’s alright is it not?

“The non-hierarchical process in PATN v3+ uses random seeds (see the help for the complete process). While this sounds odd, it works fine in practice.”

Yes I understand this and happy about it.

RE: CANOCO – I agree with your sentiment but I’m not a statistician and thus get a bit lost in the maths. I like the idea that environmental gradients should be examined by the species variables alone (in this case) rather than integrate other factors as intrinsics. It seems a bit odd to culminate a variety of measures into one analysis – bias could prevail (unless the data is standardised – but there could even be problems there, right?)