PATN v3.02 and a question to users

Home Forums PATN and Pattern Analysis PATN Discussion PATN v3.02 and a question to users

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lee
    Keymaster

We have been far from idle!

Thanks for the feedback from many of you. It is appreciated.

PATN v3.02 features and fixes are nearing completion. Among them are analysis for 1 million plus objects, better handling of import of DOS PATN, a scatter plot button, very fast imports, fix for label import and display, group numbering 1-k, new ‘check for update’, parallel use of user-defined (a-priori) and PATN groups, and maybe 1-d ordination.

A question – we export and import just about every piece of output in PATN (eg group compositions, data table, statistcs, ordination coordinates etc) with a header that describes the data. I think there is good reason for this even though you may strip them off for subsequent use in other applications (such as Excel). It seems to me that it would be consistent if we imported those same files with the same anticipated header.

See the pole on this. I’d really appreciate some input from the PATN community on this. What do you think?

I’ll keep you posted on v3.02. Bear with us through the development and testing phases.

Lee

lee
    Keymaster

While I note that some have read my previous posting, no one seems to have been game to vote on the question I posed. (It’s easy by the way!) The results of the vote will be incorporated into v3.02 so I was hoping for some feedback.

The issue I’ve noted is that when you export data from PATN such as the data table, group composition, ordination coordinates and most other analysis data, PATN will put some header information at the top of the file to help you interpret the content. Particularly a year or two later when you may come back to it. BUT, should we assume that if you IMPORT the same file, it will be identical in format? That is – with the header?

The point here is if you import data from another applciation, you will then have to include something that looks like the header. This is no big deal, but will be necessary.

To me, it makes sense to be able to re-import an exported file without changing anything.

Do you agree? If we don’t get feedbackon this, we will opt for expecting header on imports.

Lee

janet

Hi Lee,

I agree – headers are good for keeping track of data but would prefer to see them as an option on import files eg. a check box that can be disabled if import file has no header. Likewise it would also be nice to flag labels (row and/or column) as absent in the data file with an option to then import them from a separate file or have them automatically assigned – especially useful for very large data files too big for excel.

Haven’t had a chance to try out the new PATN much, but am impressed with what I’ve seen. While you are looking at the next version what about an option to export the group colour assignment as red, green and blue components? I know they can be computed from the ordination scores but it would be much less messy if they could be exported directly, preferably with the option of specifying which of the axes corresponds with each colour (the old GCOL program).
    Thanks, Janet

lee
    Keymaster

Hi Janet

Good to hear from you. Actually, we have just implemented what I hope is the best solution! We can either import the analysis files (group compositions and ordination) with header AND labels or without header AND without labels. PATN will auto-detect which. Yuo will not be able to mix the two forms.

This will be in PATN V3.02. We have closed off development on v3.02 and have just to complete the help file and a little further testing before release. We want to get this out as quickly as we could. Consequently, we will have to leave some features to v3.03.

In relation to the export of colours, the ordination coordinates ARE the colours (x=red, y=green and z=blue). You can export these as is of course. If you need them in the range 0-1, either use Excel or pull them back into PATN as data and standardize them!

Hope that helps.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.