deriving GSTA statistics

Home Forums PATN and Pattern Analysis PATN Discussion deriving GSTA statistics

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Lee,
    Is it possible to derived a set of GSTA type statisitics as per DOS PATN? Currently you provide descriptive statistics concerning the species central tendency per group, however I find the old format where constancy thresholds are defined and frequency statistics per group are defined more useful.

Secondly, when we export a data table from PATN after some of the sites or species have been made extrinsic, the whole data set is exported, not the sub-set of interest. Is the only option here to create a new version of the data with those extrinsics deleted and then export it

Thanks
    Ross

lee
    Keymaster

Hi Ross

DOS PATN used two strategies for summarising variables across groups. Measures of central tendency (mean, median) and dispersion (range, standard deviation) were the norm for ‘continuous data’.

The alternative of using ‘constancy’ (the tendency for a variable to occur in all objects in a group) and ‘fidelity’ (the tendency for a variable to be isolated to one group) were more useful as group statistical summaries for presence/absence data.

At the moment, PATN uses only measures of central tendancy and dispersion. I’ll look into including an option for constancy and fidelity.

Re exports, I thought it was better to export the lot just in case you wanted to continue the analyses. I figured it was far easier to delete the extrinsics than to add them.

Lee

Dear Lee,
    Thanks for the reply. We regularly use the +/- option in GSTA to provide quick summaries of species in groups as the classifications are being evaluated. To create these were have returned to DOS PATN, using the LF95 version. This has led to further issues with transferring the files between versions, the archives read into v3.02 well, however there is more work preparing the v3.02 data files in a format to read in via DATN. A version which includes attribute constancy and fidelity would be very useful.
    Ross

lee
    Keymaster

Hi Ross

Sorry for the delay. Am travelling at the moment.

We have v3.04 ready for release except for the new installer so we have closed off additions for this release. I will however add your request for v3.05 as I agree that there is nothing at the moment in PATN V3 that will be as useful as constancy and fidelity were in DOS PATN.

Cheers,

Lee

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.