large Box and Whisker plot to Word

Home Forums PATN and Pattern Analysis PATN Discussion large Box and Whisker plot to Word

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    GregL

Hi PATNers,
    I’ve just started using Win PATN and it looks great. I have a small problem at this stage though – how can I export a largeish box and whisker plot (eg 23 species by 6 groups) to multiple pages of a Word doc. I could import it into something else as a BMP and cut it up manually, but that’s not quite publication quality. Can .emf’s be multi-page?

Thanks,
    Greg.

lee
    Keymaster

Hi Greg

I thought I’d see if anyone else had any ideas. I’m sure they do, but it appears they are sleeping.

Anyway, there is no problem in editing the images to suit embedding in any applications such as Word. I saved a 23 species by 6 groups box and whisker plot as an emf (enhanced meta file). The emf format is high quality so a good place to start.

I then loaded the image into a simple editor (I used ACDsee but Paintshop, Photoshop or a host of others will do fine) and copped it to a series of full A4 pages in JPG format. I could have easily cropped it to suit any smaller format.

Lee

GregL

Hi PATNers,

Thanks for your suggestion Lee. Unfortunately my image editing software is quite old (eg Corel Draw 6, Corel Photopaint 6) and it doesn’t like the latest version of .emf, so editing the diagram to fit an A4 doesn’t work reliably. I guess I’ll have to update my image editing software!

Thanks,
    Greg.

lee
    Keymaster

Hi Greg

With limited resources, I had to concentrate on PATN’s analysis abilities and screen display. The emf file format output from PATN is however very flexible, vector based and therefore scale independent. EMFs are therefore very good for manipulating.

Everyone these days should have a fair image editor. Adobe Photoshop is the top end, and I’d not recommend it unless you were using it all the time. It is for professionals. I use Paintshop Pro for serious stuff, but find ACDSee excellent for simple tasks. ACDSee is excellent for browsing and with Optimizer, awesome for image sizing and compressing. Good alternatives are Adobe Photoshop Elements, Microsoft Digital Image Pro, and maybe Ulead PhotoImpact.

There is a good review at

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/software/photo_editing_software/fullstory.html

Hope that helps,

Lee

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.